Friday, May 7, 2010

Our Mom

To Our Mom

I am not sure if I will have internet for the next couple of days, so I thought I would post this now.

Since we aren't going to have much money for a while...well maybe never :-), I thought this year in addition to a few small modest gifts, I would make this post to hopefully make up for the lack of gifts this Mother's Day.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with our current situation, but it is very difficult to say the least. Missy is taking on twice the load of most right now. She is mom at home, and dad at work. We try to get her as much sleep as we can when she comes home after a long night shift, but since I am not very good at being a mom, I don't ever quite measure up to what mom can do. This leads to less sleep for her, which any of you parents know, is a HUGE sacrifice. I have a hard time taking care of myself when I'm tired, let alone an entire family. She takes care of us on limited sleep all day, and then braces herself to be a nurse for the entire night. Her manager sends her weekly emails telling her how wonderful, professional, and invaluable she is to her unit. In fact, because of her loving care to one of her patients, the husband of this patient recently donated an amount in the thousands to the hospital. She was recognized by the hospital, but doesn't like to take any credit, which is why none of you probably know about it. Her boss always tells her she wishes she could clone her. Even cloning I am sure could not replicate the person, nurse, mother, and wife that she is. Our unit at home needs her far more than her unit at work.


Every sacrifice that she makes, is all for me and our family. Without her, my dreams of going back to school and getting our family to where I have always wanted would be utterly impossible. I can't even begin to understand how she is able to show so much faith in me...daily. Every time she goes to work, or gets up after 4 hours of sleep, it is all because she believes in me. This post is such a small insignificant gift when compared to her gifts to me every day. When we get to the end of this life and can look back on our life together from the other side, it will be so embarrassingly obvious who had the greatest impact on our family and marriage, I will praise Heavenly Father forever for sending her to me. I praise Him now for such a gift. I hope I can be for her someday what she is to me today.


I know a lot of you reading this are also wonderful moms and wives to your families and husbands. I hope you know how powerful you all are. Much more so than I, or any man will ever be. Even if you feel stuck at home, feel like the family slave, spend all your time breaking up fights, never have time to shower, smell like throw up all the time, only speak baby, drive a minivan, can't find time to workout, can't seem to get through to anyone, feel unappreciated by your husbands, or just feel like your kids see you as a means to end, please know that you are the only hope for mankind. Acting as mom part time at home, I can honestly say I know how it feels to pass through all those feelings, well except the husband one. The difference is that I deal with them like a bull in a china shop. You do it with grace, love, and charity...well most of the time :-). Please realize how much your husbands and families need you. Although it is mostly thankless work, it is the greatest sacrifice one can offer. You are literally giving up what you want, for what others need...for free. There is no greater act of service.


Before I end this, I am sorry if it came off as sentimental or cheesy. I am happy to say that I did not write this while in a sentimental mood. If I had been, these words would have been greatly exaggerated. The fact is that it is simply the truth. I feel this way when I am grouchy, irritable, sentimental, emotional, or tired. Although our perceptions may change with our moods, the truth does not. The truth is that Missy is the greatest gift to our family; not money, not houses, not cars, not retirement plans, or vacations, or sleep :-). Take all of these things away (ha ha, I just realized we don't have much of that anyway), but take all this away anyway (theoretically), and I would still, do still feel overwhelming joy and happiness to have her in my life regardless of the situation we find ourselves in. Missy, I dedicate all that I am, all that I do, to make you happy...forever.

This post is a tribute to you, all that you are. It doesn't even come close to showing others how amazing you are, it is just one lucky bystander's sorry attempt at praising you. It would take me much too long to give you all the credit and praise you deserve. Although all that we are doing right now, at times seems impossible, I wouldn't want to wake up and try it with anyone but you. No matter what, failure or success, I will never quit the fight, as long as you are with me.Happy Mothers Day! We love you

8 comments:

THE REBER FAMILY said...

Thank you honey....my ego is now largely overinflated. HAHA. Thanks for loving me even when I'm tired and grouchy...and leaving coke and chocolate in my car. Feel free to believe I walk on water...because you of all people know its not true ; love you

Josh said...

Holy Cow! That was so awesome! Missy you do do so much and work so hard. What a good guy you picked. I did think while I was reading it, "Wow he is is a sentimental mood." then he said how he wasn't. that is impressive. Great job missy at your work. That is amazing!

Sheree in GA said...

You're a very lucky young woman!

Alli said...

that was so sweet! It totally made me cry. i'm so glad Missy is apart of our family! Happy Mother's Day!

Castiel Moyes said...

Good Job Jeff! That was so sweet! I started crying in the first paragraph....but I cry at everything so don't get too excited. We love both of you and just wish we lived closer to help you out with everything you have going on right now. I don't know how Missy does it all either. I thought going to school with 2 kids was hard but I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE what it is like to work the night shift and have a third new baby! You are amazing Missy.

Heather said...

Missy, where are you working now?

Michele said...

Jeff;that was so beautiful. You said it all and it was a beautiful tribute to your wife,mother and all of us mothers. As a mom of many,I don't always feel like I am doing a good enough job,that I am not meeting the needs of my children. I had a wonderful mother's day with all but one of my children expressing to me how much they loved me. I was feeling sad about the one...then I read your post and it made me feel I am really doing okay! Thankyou Jeff. You and Melissa are truly blessed to have each other and your 3 beautiful children.

Katie Bradley said...

Awwwww!! So sweet. Missy IS one amazing woman, I completely agree. Whenever I think that I am worn out and spread too thin I think of Missy and realize that I have a long way to go. You are both amazing people and parents and I am honored to be part of your family! Love you all!