Friday, April 3, 2009

Caitlyn.......She Cracks me Up!

Part ONE: Ethical Dilemma!!!
My first born.....she is quite the crack up. She is almost 4 and QUITE opinionated. She also says and does things that are not so politically correct. On Wednesday we went to the post office where she pointed at a bald man and shouted "Look MOM that guy has NO HAIR" . Luckily it looked as if he had purposely shaved his head and laughed about it! It was my first time giving her a very adamant "thou shalt not point" lesson.

The worst one is that she calls African Americans "chocolate people". One time in Walmart she saw a baby doll and said "look Daddy a chocolate baby!" We couldn't figure out if she thought it was actually made of CHOCOLATE or if she was just describing the color in words she knew. Although she knows the word BROWN! We laughed our heads off(still do) at the thought of her believing that people are made of chocolate. But we didn't let her see us!

Point of the story....I don't want her to offend someone. We have had the "all people are different sizes, shapes, and colors" talk MANY times. But she still calls her favorite barbie her "chocolate Barbie". So what do I do? Leave it alone and hope she doesn't call real people that?? Its an ethical dilemma! Because to HER being chocolate would probably be the greatest thing ever.... so telling her its not NICE to say that just doesn't make sense!! Opinons Wanted!!!



Part TWO: Favorite Toys/Tagalongs

I know it is considered healthy for children to attach to toys. But sometimes it gets rather tedious when you leave to "round up" all the Loveys!! Because heaven forbid they LOOSE THEM! TRUST ME ITS NOT PRETTY! So...I have all but forbidden Caitlyn to take "Ducky" out of the house these days. Because 1. she'd almost four and she can handle it! 2. I will never be able to find a replacement. 3. Because we lost him once and we both almost had a nervous breakdown!!! NO THANKS!

So....I have allowed her to take other toys out around the town. Her two favorite Barbies have been the newest choice. We took them to the park the other day and I thought it was funny how much she played with them...

"chocolate Barbie" and "Clara Barbie"
This is her giving Clara a ride home!
Look closely!!
I am still laughing!

Part Three: Fashion Fight

My mom has told me NUMEROUS times about my interesting fashion choices as a toddler. So I am not surprised that my daughter has also become "DIVA extraordinaire" about what she wears. I USUALLY don't mind mismatched outfits...after all I STILL don't hardly EVER have matching socks on. But ....I do insist she can not wear shorts in the snow or leave the house without her hair done!

On Wednesday I told her to go get dressed because she had Preschool.
Her outfit consisted of :Her "Santa dress" (complete with fur collar), Her pinkish/blue ruffle jeans, her white "snow fairy tutu" over the top, and her Santa hat.

I held back the laughter very well indeed but couldn't talk her out of wearing it to school. Although I did refuse to let her wear the hat with tangled hair underneath so we settled on pig tails with white ribbons.

When we got to school all the kids went WILD! "look Mrs Rachel!! Look what CAITLYNS wearing!!!!!" They all loved her ensemble! Mrs Rachel looked at me and laughed then said "did you lose today???" Yes....Yes I did. When I picked her up they were all STILL raving about her great outfit. So...it was only fitting to take a picture.
(Caitlyn, Hailey, Aidan, Kaitlyn, and Emma)
Aren't they cute!
I only wish you could see her jeans and Care Bear tennis shoes!!

2 comments:

Kaerlig said...

My mom lived in Viriginia as a kid and the first time she went to Washington D.C. she saw African-Americans she called them "chocolate people". That was about 55 years ago. I wouldn't make any deal out of it. What we try to get our kids not to do sometimes backfires.

My kids pack toys around where ever they go. I tell them just to bring the toys they want to lose. If they lose them they are forever lost. We have donated many toys to the Orem Golds Gym.

Alli said...

those stories were cracking me up! I love chocolate barbie. and her outfit for school?! that was amazing. I loved that the kids were so excited about it.