
Life is crazy.....I've been trying harder to be a more patient mother. I don't know if I ever will get there......but as my sister always says "what makes you a good mom is that you keep on trying to be better!" ( love ya cams!) I recently read a quote by Thomas S. Monson that said we should use all avenues of our ability to share our testimony of the Savior and the the Plan of Salvation..he included BLOGS! So here is my favorite quote of the week.
Sister Hinckley has said this about motherhood:
“It is the mothers of young children I would like to address first. These are golden years for you. These are years when you will probably do the most important work of your lives. Don’t wish away your years of caring for small children. Life is what happens to you while you are making other plans. This is a time of great opportunity for you to build the kingdom. When you teach children to love their Heavenly Father, you have done one of the greatest things you will ever do. If you can be a full-time homemaker, be grateful. If not, you must do what is best for you. I for one have never felt a need to apologize for my role as a full-time homemaker.
“These are busy, busy days for you. I have seen women in all kinds of circumstances—Chinese women working on road repairs, European women working in the fields, Asian women sweeping streets—but it is my opinion that … Mormon women are among the hardest working women in the world. They plant gardens and they bottle the produce; they sew and bargain shop. They go on the heart fund drive. They take dinners to new mothers and the sick in their neighborhoods. They take care of aged parents. They climb Mount Timpanogos with Cub Scouts, go to Little League games, sit on the piano bench while Jennie practices, do temple work, and worry about getting their journals up-to-date. My heart bursts with pride when I see them come into church on Sunday, some as early as 8:30 in the morning, their children all clean and shiny, their arms loaded with supplies, as they head for classes where they teach other women’s children. They scrub their houses with little or no domestic help and then try to be the glamour girl in their husband’s life when he arrives home at night. But remember, my dear young friends, that you are now doing the work that God intended you to do. Be grateful for the opportunity” (“Building the Kingdom from a Firm Foundation,” in Mary E. Stovall and Carol Cornwall Madsen, eds., As Women of Faith: Talks Selected from the BYU Women’s Conferences, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1989, p. 5).
Motherhood is the noblest and greatest of all callings.
Thank you to all of you out there for your amazing examples to me of what a good mother is and what I can become. I love you all!
10 comments:
Missy, I have to thank you for that little bit of inspiration. I have truly been having one of those weeks with Elyse that makes me wonder what in the world am I doing with another one on the way. So thank you for giving me a much needed pick me up.
ih its abby your blog is fun hey i have a blog now check it out apotterfamily.blogspot.com
"Don’t wish away your years of caring for small children."
I'm going to be honest, I've done that SO many times. THANK YOU for posting this at the exact moment I needed it. Okay, I guess I could have really used it yesterday! : ) Love you Miss!
Thanks Missy! I loved that quote and you could probably tell from my blog that I was having a moment recently where I was realizing some of those same things. It seems every other day I want them to grow up quickly and figure out how to REALLY clean their own rooms and then the next I don't EVER want them to grow up at all! It is definately a hard job and I want to just stay positive more often than negative.
I found your blog through Janaes and i just wanted to say hi. Your family is so cute. I can't believe your little girl is getting so big! I also can't believe you run marathons! I could never give up sugar and diet pepsi! They are my guilty pleasures at the end of my crazy days!
Thanks for the inspiration Missy. I miss our late night chats! You are a great example of a great mom!
Thank you for this message, got me kinda emotional!!! Missy, it's me, Candice Dennis. You were my preceptor at UVRMC in 2003. I love your blog and look at it every once in a while. I actually started mine a while back because I liked yours so much. You can check it out at www.cdennisfamily.blogspot.com. We are kinda in the same boat, are kids are the same age and same genders. Kinda funny. Anyway, just wanted to say "Hi".
Also, hope you wouldn't mind if I posted that thought on my blog too? Gotta spread the word right?
Hope you guys are having fun in Paraguay!
This was great.....Sister Hinckley was really a sharp woman.
You're doing exactly what the Lord wants you to do, I'm proud of ya!
Post a Comment