is.......the GLUE of life! I love you Jeff....you're the only thing that holds me together.
I wanted to blog about a lot of things..... but what do you say about your own marriage on a BLOG?
So I decied to tell our STORY....for those who haven't heard it (or for those who heard it from Jeff because his version is totally wrong!! Ha ha!) When people ask about our story we laugh and try to keep from telling it because.....although its cute and romantic.....we tell is sooo differently that we end up fighting about it. (sweetly of course) So here is my chance to tell it without being corrected!Unless of course Jeff wants to blog (when pigs fly!!! Blogs are for GIRLS!)OUR STORY!!!
It starts with summer of 2001 coming to a close. I had just turned 19 and Jeff had just returned home from his mission in Recife Brazil. I like to call that summer the "Summer of MORONS!" because that was all I seemed to date. As the summer ended I was bitter and frustrated with boys! As I left to go back to school my mom hugged me and said "why don't you try dating a baseball player!" PROPHETIC!!! I had apparently tried dating everything else! Little did I know that I was about to fall madly in love with the captain of the Ricks College Baseball Team!!! Thanks MOM!Anyway, I drove all day to get back up to Ricks and when I got there I was tired and GROUCHY! (me? Grouchy? imagine that?) My roommates convinced me to go the "Welcome Back Dance". I don't even think I brushed my hair.....but I went for the free ice cream. I was wearing a crayon green t- shirt, jeans, my lucky jean jacket, and a white NY yankees hat. (Jeff HATES the Yankees)
The Night We Met
After we'd been there a little while a group of boys approached us. And there he was!!! Jeff was with Isaac Jensen and his two other roomates. He introduced the group of them and I was instantly attracted to him. His gigantic lime green eyes and 100 watt smile. WOW! I have to admit that I wasn't very friendly. Honestly I thought I'd never see him again. The night went on and as I thougt... we didn't see eachother.....and I left. But, as Idrove backt to my apartment I realized to my horror that I had forgot my lucky jean jacket! So....I turned the car around and went back to the dance. My roommates stayed in the car and I ran in to get my jacket that I had left by the side of the fence. When I got to where I left it.........Jeff was standing against the fence in front of my jacket. (which became the LUCKY JACKET!) Oh CRAP! He smiled when he saw me and asked me if I remembered his name. I didn't. (I'm sooo bad with names) He introduced himself (and Isaac) again and we exchanged apartment numbers. I was mortified.....so that night when I got home I wrote his name down on a post it note and stuck it in my drawer. If I ran into him again I better know his name......................Lost and Found
Jeff spent the next week trying to track me down. He apparently forgot wich appartment complex I was in.....or in his explanation He thought I gave him a bogus appartment number. He didnt know my last name so he couldnt look me up on the directory. By the end of the week his hope of finding me had dwindled. But...a few days later Jeff was in the health center getting a wart burned of his hand. (It is now lovingly refered to as his LUCKY WART!!) He walked out from the exam room and there I was! (getting a TB test for the nursing program) But...unfortunately by the time he was finished I had left. So....as charming as he is.....he went up to the nurses desk and tried to coax my name out of the nurse. Sorry Jeff thats against the LAW! But he ended up looking down at the desk and my name was on the front of the chart. BINGO!! He then looked me up on the Ricks Directory and called me. I wasn't home! My roomate put a post it on my bedroom door." Missy.........Jeff Called"
When I got home from class I stared blankly at the post it. Jeff WHO? Did I know a Jeff?
Then a light bulb went on and I ran to the drawer where I had put the post it note with his name on it. I stared at the post it. Could it really be him? How in the world did he get my number? (I didnt give out my number to boys I barely knew....just my apartment number. SMART!) Oh my! I remembered that he lived in Sommerset apartments but I didn't remember which one. But that night I went looking for him anyway. I knocked on every door in Sommerset that night (including his) but he wasn't home and no one seemed to know "A guy named Jeff with brown hair and green eyes" Or maybe they didn't want me to find him! I was totally bummed out. I went home and hoped he would call again. And he did!! We were on the phone for like 3 hours! I had to work the next day but I promised to try and stop by his appartment.
Love at First Hug??
The next day I took a break from work (taking care of a Stroke patient at his home). I drove to Sommerset appartments. I was sooooo nervous. It took me 10 minutes to get out of my blasted car! As I walked up the stairs to his apartment I called him on my work cell phone. "Guess where I am?" I asked. He walked out his apartment door with the phone in his hand and the biggest smile I'd ever seen. We hung up the phones. And I walked over to him. I don't even rememeber him saying anything. All I remember is him wrapping me in his arms and hugging me. I melted into the sidewalk. Who hug a girl he didn't even know? But in that moment I knew this was it. Silly.....but true. I never believed in at love at first sight.....but love at first hug? Maybe!OUR FIRST KISS!
As the story goes.... I had unfortunately already been asked to Ricks Homecoming......Jeff wanted me to tell the other guy I wasn't going. (soooo not my style) I told him no. But Jeff was sooooooooooooo persistant. And sooooooooooo HOT! So....I did. I told the other guy that someone else asked me and that since we weren't really dating that I wanted to go with Jeff. He was anoyingly fine with it. So........I drove over to Jeffs apartment and we went for a walk and I told him that I would go to homecoming with him. As we stood there in the dark I wanted him to kiss me sooooooo bad. But....He didn't. I had told him I wanted to take the relationship slowly. ( I had a missionary...UGGG. and I was sortof starting to date that other guy who had asked me to homecoming) Jef said that he wouldn't kiss me until I was ready. CUTE! He hadn't kissed a girl since his mission so I thought that was pretty amazing self controll. That night as we stood by my car saying good bye I really wanted him to kiss me. He was so charming. I lingered as long as possible. I tried to hint. It didn't work! And then..... I had to tell him to kiss me. Humiliating!! I didn't have to ask twice. Without one ounce of hesitation he leaned in to kiss me...........we realized we were both wearing baseball hats. That wasn't going to work! No problem for a baseball player!! He laughed.....and turned my hat to the side and kissed me. I had NEVER been kissed like that before!!! I couldn't breathe! I would have kissed him all night long (i'm not very good at playing hard to get!) .......but he pecked me again....and said goodbye. As I drove home I wondered if that would be my last first kiss. I wasn't sure....but I was sure I wanted to kiss him again. And again and again!!! (I still LOVE to kiss him more than anything!) DTR
(define the realtionship)
Happy Anniversary Jeff! I love you MADLY!Jeff and I were inseperable after that. I went to every baseball game and we spent all our spare time together. (which wasnt a lot with him playing ball and me in nursing school) By Thanksgiving He asked me to go home with him. But I didn't. I was too afraid of his 4 sisters. SCARY! (love you guys!) By Christmas it was a different story. I spent half of Christmas break in St George with him, his Dad and his two little sisters. He bought me a guitar for christmas......I bought him Cinamon Toast Crunch! (that is still the proportion in which we give gifts!)
By Febuary I was sure that I was going to get a proposal for Valentines Day. I didn't. Shortly after that Jeff entered his "I need to date other people so I can marry you this summer" stage. Sucked to be me. I here I was totally head over heels and Jeff wanted to date every girl at RICKS College. Perfect. So.....on the weekends he wasn't away playing baseball.....He went out on dates....IN MY CAR (soo emabarasing for me to admit!) and I stayed home. He called me to tell me he loved me on the way home from every date. What wrong with that picture??? I tried to break up with him.....TWICE. But we couldn't go 24 hours without talking. Graduation came around and.......still no proposal. I was miffed.
And here we are six years later........I sit waiting (blogging) for him to come home from a buisness trip and I can't wait to kiss him some more.
By Febuary I was sure that I was going to get a proposal for Valentines Day. I didn't. Shortly after that Jeff entered his "I need to date other people so I can marry you this summer" stage. Sucked to be me. I here I was totally head over heels and Jeff wanted to date every girl at RICKS College. Perfect. So.....on the weekends he wasn't away playing baseball.....He went out on dates....IN MY CAR (soo emabarasing for me to admit!) and I stayed home. He called me to tell me he loved me on the way home from every date. What wrong with that picture??? I tried to break up with him.....TWICE. But we couldn't go 24 hours without talking. Graduation came around and.......still no proposal. I was miffed.
The End.....and the Beginning
So we went home. Him to California and me to Utah. He was coming to BYU in the fall.....but that wasn't good enough. I wanted him all to myself. So.....out of spite (I'm so mature) I started dating other boys. All I could think about...and talk about was Jeff. Which the other guys LOVED! Jeff and I talked everyday. One night one of those "other boys" kissed me. It didn't do anything for me. That night I called Jeff and told him. At first he was mad......and then......he did something I never expected him to do (but always dreamed he would) At three in the morning he bought a plane ticket....had his mom drive him to the airport......and flew into my arms. Just like a movie!!! Except it was MY LIFE! AMAZING! We spent the next week together and became "unofficially engaged!". HOOOOORAYYYY! I bought my dress...and started planning a wedding. and then I went to meet him mom. (yes....I only met my mother in law once before my wedding day!!) He "officially" proposed on my Birthday (July 13th) and we were married in the Salt Lake Temple six weeks later on August 24th 2002. The happiest day of my life!!And here we are six years later........I sit waiting (blogging) for him to come home from a buisness trip and I can't wait to kiss him some more.
Random Sampler of my fave memories/pictures!!




6 comments:
That was so cute. you were both so determined to find each other I cannot imagine knocking on every door in a complex. glad you found him, you two are great together. thanks for sharing your story.
That was so fun to read :) You are the cutest couple. Congrats on 6 years!
I love your story. I love roller coaster relationships with fairy tale endings! You guys are great, and your family is great. I never realized how many awesome trips you guys have gone on. That's fantastic. You should go on another one for your 6th anniversary. I'll watch your kids.
Such a cute story! I can't believe how many vacations you guys have been on! I am jealous!
I Love your love story with my son! And you know the sisters love you. I'm glad you hung in there. You are perfect for Jeff and I am so glad he has you in his life forever. Happy Anniversary and have fun in Idaho!
Love,
Beth
Oh Heavens!!! That is the best story EVER!! I am seriously sitting here with goosebumps and watery eyes... I'm such a boob! You are the cutest couple... I totally believe in love at first hug too ;)
Post a Comment