Saturday, January 3, 2009

Bradley Family Christmas......Nana and Papa LIVE (on SKYPE)!!!

Since my parents left to be mission presidents in Paraguay over 2 years ago we have been having Christmas via SKYPE every year. We all get together at my house and my awesome tech savvy husband puts my parents on the big screen TV. We open presents and just chat with mom and dad LIVE!!!
Ok this looks like a really random picture of Camie and Sammy (who were reverse twinners!) But Camie is telling the story about how we found out where our beloved christmas "snowball cookie" recipe came from. My mom makes these PECAN BALLS that you roll in powdered sugar every year....we all LOVE them. But apparently Camie's neighbors (two different ones mind you) came over and tasted them and were like "OH! THEY'RE MEXICAN WEDDING COOKIES!!!" WHAT THE HECK MOM! of course! We did grow up in Latin America for the first part of our lives....but come on....our most favorite Christmas cookies? We all laughed our heads off! I wish I had the "account" on video!

Of course we had Soup and bread bowls.....we all made our specialty
Camie - Tomato Basil (FROM SCRATCH!!!)
Missy- New England Clam Chowder (cause my Jeffy LOVES SEAFOOD and is from San Fran where they know Clam Chowder!!)
Katie- Taco Soup.....the kids favorite....trust me they THANKED HER PROFUSLEY!!
Sam and Bryan brought the best thing though.....THEMSELVES (and soda) they are the KIDS FAVORITE!!! Poor Sam had kids on both legs the whole night!
The best part is getting the kids together.....they love eachother so much!!
Here are CJ and Brooklyn anxiously waiting till we call Nana and Papa and put them on the big screen!!
Ok so this looks like another random picture.....but this year Caitlyn wanted me to make an actual BABY JESUS CAKE. I had my reservations about EATING BABY JESUS! But...I caved. I made a cake frosted it white (for swaddling clothes) and put a extra large cupcake head on it....Whala! Baby Jesus! Camie has a picture....I DONT. Then...I surrounded the cake with yellow frosted cupcakes... each with a star stuck in it with the cousins names on them.(glittered by caitlyn) Then instead of singing happy birthday....this year the kids sang "I am like a Star" to Jesus! It was really sweet. And the cake was good too! Yet....no one was brave enough to eat the head. Ok so it was a little creepy...but it sent a nice message and helped the kids remember who we were celebrating!
Opening presents....I have NO IDEA how my mom finds the kids perfect gifts in PARAGUAY and manages to get someone to get them to us ON TIME! She is AMAZING! I can't even send out a blasted Christmas card!!!!
A TALKING DORA!!!!! Thanks Nana and Papa!!

Jeffy got a tool set (which was perfect because he was getting a tool bench for Christmas from SANTA!) How is it that a 16 month old knows how to use a wrench??!!!?
BOYS!

The Highlight of the night was the kids gift from Uncle Matt and Aunt Katie....They are what I call "creature capsules" Little pills that desolve in water and out comes....A SPONGE CREATURE! The gave these to the kids last year and they loved it so much they HAD to do it again. Uncle Matt spent at least an HOUR over a bowl of hot water creating "creatures" Thanks Matt and Katie....our kids will expect these from you every year till they die!

Over all it was a fantasic evening! It was so exciting to know that this was the last time we would have to have Mom and Dad on the TV!! Next year they will be wrestling kids and eating soup with the rest of us! We can't wait. Their mission has been such a blessing for all of us because as siblings we have really become close....but we are all ready to have them home!
WE LOVE YOU NANA AND PAPA!!!

2 comments:

Castiel Moyes said...

I was seriously laughing out laoud thinking of your baby Jesus cake! I know maybe it is a little sacreligeous but the thought of no one wanting to eat the head of baby Jesus is REALLY funny!

Katie Bradley said...

LOVED this post (actually I love all your posts). I have some cute pics of it too. Seriously thanks for always being the host/hostesses. We love you guys!!!!